The Daily Caller reports:
A bill set for fast-track passage in the South Carolina Senate in January aims to eliminate Obamacare in the state. The law could become a model for other states fed up with the federal health-care law.
House Bill 3101, titled the “South Carolina Freedom of Health Care Protection Act,” passed the state House of Representatives last April by a 65-34 vote. The bill now heads to the GOP-controlled Senate with special-order priority, setting up the likelihood that South Carolina will become the first state to exempt citizens and businesses from all participation in the Affordable Care Act.
The bill’s main component prohibits agencies, officers and employees of the state of South Carolina from implementing any provisions of the Affordable Care Act, leaving implementation of the national health-care law entirely in the hands of a federal government that lacks the resources or personnel to carry out the programs it mandates.
This provision, according to Davis, comes from the anti-commandeering doctrine established in case law that says feds can’t compel states to enforce federal laws.
It’ll be very interesting to see how this plays out. I’m a strong believer in defusing power. First, as a matter of freedom, it better allows communities to live in accordance with their vision. Second, stemming from that it enhances the “laboratory of democracy.” Third, I believe it offers the best chance of making it harder and more expensive for special interests to drive policy. But, I suppose that’s just a thin veneer for my white-hot burning racism.
- South Carolina voting on bill to end Obamacare in state (conservativeread.com)
- South Carolina Is About To Pass A Bill To Nullify Obamacare (zerohedge.com)
- South Carolina Looking to Pass Bill That Would Eliminate ObamaCare in the State (libertycrier.com)
- South Carolina to Nullify Obamacare (veteran-patriot.com)
- South Carolina voting on bill to end Obamacare in state (gopthedailydose.com)
- South Carolina Looking to Pass Bill That Would Nullify ObamaCare in the State (tenthamendmentcenter.com)
- South Carolina poised to nullify Obamacare (wnd.com)
- BREAKING: South Carolina Declares War On Obamacare, Will Vote To Ban State Involvement In Implementation (libertynews.com)